Tuesday, June 10, 2008

End of da woild

umm... hmmm..

i'm very very concerned, about sunspot production.

"The sun has been laying low for the past couple of years, producing no sunspots..."

yes that's what they said, NO SUNSPOTS! none. zero. zip.

but that's not all... it's not just a lack of sunspot production, like a baseball player going thru a slump, or a banana tree in the offseason... no... it's worse than that. It's the sun is DEAD.

"It continues to be dead," said Saku Tsuneta with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, program manager for the Hinode solar mission. "That's a small concern, a very small concern."

I don't know why that's a small concern. I disagree with that. I think it's a big concern. Dead sun. Big big big. At least I'm concerned, you betcha.

The last cycle reached its peak in 2001 and is believed to be just ending now, Longcope said. The next cycle is just beginning and is expected to reach its peak sometime around 2012. Today's sun, however, is as inactive as it was two years ago, and scientists aren't sure why.

"It's a dead face," Tsuneta said of the sun's appearance.

Dead Face. Yup, that's what he said, and I can confirm this. I've been doing detail observations using my pinhole projector (don't EVER stare directly into the sun, kids, or your tail will fall off), every afternoon. Jack comes in and helps me with the setup, it's very elaborate. And we observe and observe, and I'm here to tell you: No spots. Spotless. Also, no stripes. And, no checkerboards. Nope. Nuttin. I have corroborated my esteemed colleague's findings, and will be publishing my results soon. Dead as a doornail. Dead as a dodo. Dead as a Monty Python stuffed parrot. My theory: the only reason it's still up in the sky is 'cause it's nailed to its perch.

And if you think it's easy to nail a star to a freshwater fish, you're crazy.

fretfully,
Mr. Eddie.

1 comment:

KristenD said...

If it will be of any help, kind wise monkey of mine, might you consider the ardent application of sunblock and sunscreens among us , ah less furry types over the last few years?
Perhaps this has delivered a big blow to the SuperStars raison d'etre, ya know?